Our school is the oldest primary one in Tomaszów Lubelski. The idea of creating school in the town was born during World War I, in 1915. At the beginning, it was placed in the building on Żwirki and Wigury Street. When the number of students icreased, the school was moved to the former building of Russian officer bureau placed by Kościuszki Street. Until 1929 it was gimnazjum but when it changed its place primary school was established there and Józef Piasecki became the headmaster.
However, the successful development of the educational institution was disrtucted by the break out of World War II . First, the building was taken over by Polish army. When Nazi armed forces occupied the town the school building changed into the headquarters of Gestapo. The time was tremendously hard in every respect. The spirit of Polish nation was brutally suppressed. Not only was the whole heritage of Polish education in Tomaszów destroyed but Nazi were killing people in different places in the town, most of them however, were executed on the school grounds. Their death is commemorated by the obelisk which was unveiled in 1981. During t World War II the school building functioned also as a hospital, Ukrainian school and Volksdeutsch school.
When in July 1944 Tomaszów was libetrated the school started teaching again. Antoni Bartosiewicz as a new headmaster organized educational activities for 500 students.
The list of all headmasters:
1944 - 1945 Antoni Bartosiewicz
1945 - 1952 Erazm Kaptur
1952 - 1953 Lucjan Borowik
1953 - 1955 Erazm Kaptur
1955 - 1969 Jan Hałasa
1969 - 1972 Jerzy Czechoński
1972 - 1987 Henryk Wróblewski
1987 - 1992 Zbigniew Szpinda
1992 - 1996 Krzysztof Jarczak
1996 – 2013 Jolanta Rymaszewska
2013 - and still Jarosław Korzeń
Our school is regarded as professional, friendly and having highly qualified staff educational institution. Students present their knowledge in different competitions getting even the highest awards.
The increasing number of students made the school having extended. Thus, in 1983 the process of building a new and a bigger one was started. In 1986 students of 4,5,6, 7 and 8 year moved to new, spacy and nice furnitured classrooms. Classes 1-3 stayed in an old building which was redecorated. In 1999, when the educational reform was introduced and a new type of school was created the “old school” was occupied by Gimnazjum N°2. The Primary School N°2 has had only new buildings since then, which are situated on Żołnierzy Września Street. On 10th November 1998 an important event took place - our school was given the name of Marshal Jozef Pilsudski. Since then, evey year the day of 10th November holds an official celebration.
Mrs Beata Depka